The 3rd Young Soloists of New England International Competition
The 3rd Young Soloists of New England International Competition is open to pianists, string players (violin, viola, cello, double bass), and woodwind players (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, French horn) of all nationalities and from all countries. Participants are required to submit video recording material for the audition. Soloists of New England seeks to recognize genuinely talented young performers who have creativity and stage charisma as well as technical accomplishment.
We invite talented young musicians from 6 to 18 years old as of 12/12/2019 to participate in the Competition.
Winners will perform with NO PERFORMANCE FEE in Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall in New York City on December 12th, 2019.
Seven qualified judges will evaluate audition material. All judges are independent.
Michelle LaCourse will serve as Chair of the 2019 Competition. Prof. LaCourse is a violist, Chair of Performance & Applied Studies and of the String Department, and viola professor at Boston University’s School of Music.
How to Apply
To apply for the Competition participants must submit:
1. Completed online application form.
2. YouTube (or other video sharing sites) link to the video recordings of the performance. (See time limits below.)
3. Application fee.
Acceptance of application material will end at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, October 15th, 2019. Results of the competition will be announced by 5:00 pm October 25th, 2019.
Application Fee and Mailing Instructions
Application Fee is $100.
*Application Fees are not refundable.
U. S. participants should make a check or money order payable to Philharmonia Boston and mail to Philharmonia Boston, P.O. Box , Cambridge, MA 10128. A PayPal options may be used with an additional fee to cover PayPal service charge.
International participants may use:
1. Certified bank check or international money order payable to Philharmonia Boston. International participants must use express shipping services and provide the tracking number.
2. PayPal (See bottom of this page).
1. Applicants must submit a video-recording of one solo piece within the following time limit:
6 to 10 years old – 6 minutes
11 to 13 years old - 7 minutes
14 to 17 years old – 8 minutes
18 to 23 years old - 10 minutes
2. Multiple winners will be chosen in each age category.
3. Repertoire requirements: Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Contemporary periods repertoire. One movement of a Sonata or Concerto will be accepted as a separate piece.
4. Only un-edited video will be accepted for the audition.
5. Judges’ comments will not be disclosed. Judges’ decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
6. The final selection of winners will be based solely on the video-recordings submitted.
7. Certificates of Recognition will be presented to the performing winners only, after the Winners’ Recital.
8. Competition results will be published on the Soloists of New England website on Oct 15th, 2019.
Winners’ Recital Information
1. Each Winner will perform at Carnegie’s Weill Recital Hall at 8:00 pm on December 12th, 2019.
2. Only ONE piece from the submitted audition repertoire (and within time limits listed above) will be performed at the Winners’ Recital.
3. Only piano accompaniment can be used at the Winners’ Recital.
4. Participants must bring their own piano accompanist. Soloists of New England does not provide piano accompanists, but can recommend pianists to performers in the Winners’ Concert, if needed.
5. Photos and video recording during the recital are strictly prohibited per the Carnegie Hall policy.
A professional photographer will be taking pictures of the performers upon request.
Photo Fee is $100 for 20 digital photos taken by the professional photographer during a specific participant’s performance on the stage.
6. No Recital Fee
7. Photo Fees are not refundable.
8. Two complimentary tickets will be given to each performers. Additional tickets may be requested to administrative staff of SONE.
9. All participants are responsible for their own expenses (travel, housing accommodations, etc.).
10. Detailed Winners’ Recital Guidelines will be emailed to the winners of the competition.
To pay the Solo Application Fee online please click on the button below. A transaction fee will be added to the payment amount to cover PayPal service charge. By clicking on the button you will be redirected to PayPal.
Please email us at email@example.com, if you have any questions.